I was in crazy multi-tasking mode today and while doing a coaching call, eating lunch, enjoying pregnancy and spilling salsa on myself (all at the same time), I had a very clear intuitive nudge to do a blog post! For me, pregnancy has totally juiced up my creativity! I joked with my fiancé that this is what happens to me when I take too much time away from my yoga practice! I start wildly multi-tasking and go into fast-forward mode! So, in an effort to calming close my day with intention and presence, I wanted to share with you the 10 greatest secrets that I have learned from my mentors for getting your shit together! Whether it’s money, relationships, happiness or just being in a funk…the most important piece is to being aware that there is no time better than now to get started on cleaning up the mess! So, I am boldly sharing the 10 secrets that helped me get my shit together!
1) Embrace your mistakes, detours and tumbles- Stop being hard on yourself for things you did. In my opinion, you should kick yourself for not doing things. I am grateful for all the things I tried and did! All parts of your journey bring beautiful gifts and my personal philosophy is to stop playing it safe and see how extraordinary your life could be if you actually got out of your comfort zone and got bold with yourself. And if you are one of those gals who are concerned about the opinions of others or doesn’t do things because of what people think…my heart goes out to you. I feel sad for you because there is no freedom in that! I was one of those girls who thankfully jumped off that ship in my twenties! I included a picture of me with my twin brothers when I was a little one to remind myself of how grateful I am for every inch of my journey thus far!
2) Expect Greatness- There is nothing sadder than amazing individuals who set low standards for themselves. After mentoring the most incredible men and women over the past 7 years, I have realized that we all just need someone to remind us of how amazing we are. If we realize that our fears run us and 90% of them will never actually come true, we live more powerfully and boldly. Just be careful who you surround yourself with. I love surrounding myself with beautiful people who challenge me, inspire me and are creating greatness in their lives! You only live once and why aim for average!
3) Money is your leadership report card- I truly believe that your income reflects (of course there are others but money is a great report card for your leadership) your leadership, your thoughts and your self-esteeem. As you aim higher and truly recognize how incredible you are, you begin to have higher expectations for yourself . Getting your financial shit together is just imperative! Why spend your life stressing about money? You’ll never step into your juicy greatness if money stresses are always on your mind! If Money is stressing you out, get on that right now and sort out your affairs! But don’t be lazy, if you know you need help, go to someone you totally admire who understands money and is going places! Ask them for their tips. I shared many of my favorite tips in 30 Days to Wealth if money in on your mind. The Science of Getting Rich is a great easy Read as well as Think and Grow Rich to get you started.
4) Be very aware of where you haemorrhage energy- One of my greatest mentors Caroline Myss is very clear in her teachings that if you leak energy all over the place, your health will suffer eventually. Imagine having 100 energy credits to get you through your entire day and you spend 99 of them before ten in the morning. I suggest managing your energy like currency. If you aren’t clear on what is most important to you in your life and what you want to create for yourself, you’ll leak energy all over the place and be more likely to just say yes to everything that crosses your path! Cheryl Richardson and Caroline Myss are both great teachers to support you with avoiding leaking all your energy. This is very very important to avoid burnout!
5) Give yourself a makeover inside and out- I’m not talking about changing who you are but when you become keenly aware that your habits have gotten you to where you are today, you just might want to create some new ones. You attract what you are and if you want to start attracting some abundant and incredible new things into your life, a little spring cleaning is likely required. Getting rid of the junk in the trunk (physically, emotionally and mentally) may be a good idea. I purged much of my physical environment (clothes and anything in my environment that I wasn’t in love with) and recognized that I also needed an energy makeover. I got certified as a yoga and pilates instructor and got started on my Clinical Nutritionist Certification. Again, I’m not saying going to get certifications is the answer to the voids in your life or for low energy but for me, being a student and a teacher at all times is key. I have never been one to feel like I need to know everything before I teach it! I prefer to teach what I know and with wonderful intention, I know my experiences will be helpful to those who are brought into my life. I trust that. Getting certified in yoga, pilates and nutrition just makes me happy as I love being a student and I love wellness. Find out what you love and go get busy learning and teaching! If you are feeling like you are in an energy rut or you just don’t feel amazing about yourself, seek out a beautiful soul in your surroundings to fuel you temporarily and get you started (like an amazing trainer, yoga teacher, nutritionist or health coach) who can be a spark plug for you and get you moving in a new direction). I’m also loving Marie Forleo’s B-School right now and if you’re interested in personal branding, it’s hot.
6) Give more but not everything- Many of the most incredible individuals I know are out there building charities, supporting wonderful causes and giving non-stop. I am so lucky to have them in my life. I do however believe that the more you build your confidence, happiness, and leadership, the more abundantly you can give and the more your energy will also fuel all those around you. Just make sure you don’t forget about you in the process of giving! You are your most important asset and the better you take care of yourself, the more you will have to give and share with others! Don’t burn yourself out in the process! I personally select 2-3 charities each year that I will support and on a daily basis, do my very best to give with excellence to make someone’s life just a little bit better. On the days that I am feeling a little empty, I choose to give a little extra love and energy to myself. I have a big vision for creating a charity of my own someday but for now, I am complete and thrilled with supporting wonderful causes I truly believe in. Three I am supporting this year include Peaks Foundation , Holiday Helpers and Baby Showers
7) Focus is your friend- Many of the beautiful people I have mentored have the brilliance and gifts to achieve absolutely anything and everything their hearts desire. The trouble is that in our fast-forward world today where patience seems to be a thing of the past, when results are instant, they loose focus and start on a new project or adventure. One of my favorite mentors Jim Rohn reminds me daily that there is a season to sow and a season to reap and they just don’t happen at the same time. Practicing patience is key and the Tae Te Ching has really been instrumental in keeping me focused and patient in my life. I hear kids help with that too! I guess I’ll find out this fall! If you don’t have a clear sense of who you are and where you are going, you’ll always struggle with focus. If you haven’t been clear with yourself on just what type of life you want to be living 2 years from today, you may want to take some time this weekend to start getting clear on where the heck you’re going. If you don’t, someone else is the captain of your ship and that is scary.
8) Take advice from those who walk the talk- There are talkers and there are walkers. We all know so many people who have a great gab but rarely get things accomplished. Integrity is when what you think, what you say and what you do are in alignment. To me, integrity is everything. Being able to trust those you take advise from is paramount. I was also given great advise to under promise and make promises sparingly. You don’t want to be one of those people who do the opposite of what you preach or keep promises occasionally. If you need a trainer, a life coach or a health coach, ask around for those who truly practice what they preach and have achieved what you want to achieve. Seek out individuals who will challenge you to grow and are where you want to be. Reach out today to someone you admire (pick one area for now- money, relationships, health, nutrition, mindfulness) and ask them to share the greatest lessons or tips they got on their leadership journey.