Many dermatologists are prescribing birth control pills to teenage girls as young as 12 years old to combat acne. This was my scenario in my young teens, and fast forward to 10 plus years later, I decided to free my body of chemicals and return to its natural cycle. If you are on the same journey, hope you will find this article helpful in fighting hormonal acne as an adult.
I must say the acne break out made me feel insecure and embarrassed just like I was in high school. I refused to feel this way as an adult, desperation for a solution kicked into high gear, and I am happy to share with you what worked for me.
Keeping your skin clean and free of clogging pores is just as important, however this post will mainly focus on the root causes of hormonal breakouts. For me it was due to imbalance of my female and male hormones (estrogen and progesterone), and I would experience fierce breakouts during ovulation and while on my period.
- Eat low-glycemic. High levels of insulin can lead to excess male hormones. Low glycemic eating regulates your insulin level. This also means eliminate all refined sugars. Some natural sweetness to consider includes honey, agave, or stevia.
- Clear liver congestion. Your liver helps detoxify your body, including detoxifying excess hormones. Otherwise, toxins are pile-up and carried to other parts in your body. Â Milk thistle and dandelion roots have been used since the ancient times as a remedy to cleanse the liver.
- Digestive health. Probiotic is the healthy bacteria in your gut that helps your intestine absorb vitamins and minerals. Lack of probiotic can lead to toxins passing through our intestine walls and acne can be a result of it.
- Vitex, also known as â€˜chaste tree’ it is plant based. A folk medicine used for thousands of years to treat female conditions including infertility, heavy menstruation, etc. It stimulates the pituitary gland, which regulates the balance of estrogen and progesterone in the body.
- Omega oil. It is an EFA, essential fatty acids our body needs, which give us glowing skin, especially important for treating acne as it reduces inflammation. In specific, these are the oils I have taken;
- Fish oil. It is important to choose one that is pure and free of contaminants
- Flaxseed oil. Organic is key, free of chemicals
- Evening primrose oil. Very effective in reducing inflammation of the acne
- Proper nutrition and Multivitamins. Provide your body with the needed amount of vitamins and minerals is key to good health and radiant skin.
I am happy to report that my acne break out is now under control after 7 natural cycles in my experience.Â As a last note, please do not pick your acne. Hyperpigmentation, and scarring are a whole different ball game!